Landlord Insurance Cover Frequently Asked Questions

Although we have tried our best to provide as much help throughout this site, we understand that sometimes you just can't find the answer you are looking for. So to make life easier for you, our help section hopefully answers any question that you may have. Again for your convenience, we have broken questions into topics to make it easier to find what you are looking for.

If you still can't find the answer you are looking for, contact us.

Landlords Insurance Cover Questions 

My contact details have changed, how do I update my policy?

If either your correspondence address, e-mail address or telephone number has changed, please contact us and we will be happy to update your details.

I don't want to receive any marketing communications any more, how do I stop them?

Letsure also tries to keep marketing communications to a minimum, however if you no longer wish us to contact you, we will be happy to remove your details from any future communications. Please contact customer services but bear in mind that it can take a couple of weeks for your information to be completely removed. You will still receive communications relating to any insurance policies that you hold with us.

I am unhappy with the service, how do I make a complaint?

Firstly, we are very sorry that you have had problems with our service and we would like to assure you that we will do our utmost to resolve the matter.

If you have not already spoken to us regards the matter, please contact us on 0800 035 8242. Alternatively you can email us at or write to us at:
Letsure, Hestia House, Edgewest Road, Lincoln, LN6 7EL.

Your complaint will be acknowledged as quickly as possible but always within 5 working days and we will detail our complaints procedure to you.

If following our final response to you, you are still dissatisfied; you may be entitled to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service:

By writing to:
The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR

By telephone: 0845 080 1800

About our Cover

What is the difference between landlords insurance and home insurance?

The main difference between the two is what the property is used for. Landlord's Insurance is for property that is rented, whereas home insurance is typically where you own and live in the property. Although many aspects of the cover provided are similar, it is important to remember that most home insurance policies will not provide cover for properties that are used for letting. Landlord's insurance also provides some additional cover specific to rented properties, details of the cover are shown below.

What does your policy cover?

The table below shows a high level summary of the cover available, for full details of what is and what is not covered please see the policy wording.

Letsure buildings and contents FAQs 

Unfortunately, we do not offer an online service at present but you can call us on 0800 035 8242 and we can offer instant cover during our opening hours subject to our normal terms and conditions.

Can I get cover for a few months?

Generally, our landlord's insurance policy will provide insurance cover for 12 months. However, if you wish cover for a shorter period, you are able to cancel your policy. You should bear in mind that a cancellation fee may apply and if you have made a claim on your policy, no refund is normally given.

Do I have to pay an excess if I claim?

Generally an excess will apply if you make a claim. The excess can vary depending upon the type of claim and whether you have opted to choose a higher excess. If you have already purchased an insurance policy with us, you can find full details of the excess that apply in the policy wording.

Making a change to your policy

Do I need to tell you if I move address or my tenants change?

You need to tell us about any material change that may affect your insurance cover. A material change is one which would cause the underwriter to change your price or terms or whether to offer cover or not. Examples of changes that you need to tell us about include – changes to the tenancy i.e. new tenant types or unoccupancy, changes to the value of your building and contents, damage or theft whether claimed for or not, major building works and extensions to name some. If in doubt, please contact us and we can inform you whether it affects your insurance policy.

How much will it cost to make a change?

If you make a change to your landlord's insurance policy, your price will be calculated based on the new details versus your original price. The difference between the old and new price will then be calculated over the number of days that your policy is left to run, depending upon the change this may result in an increase, decrease or your premium remaining unchanged. Letsure may charge you a fee for making a change to your policy. Our current fees are shown in the Initial Disclosure Document.

Can I make a change to my policy online?

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer you this service but we hope to offer this service in the future. To make a change you will need to contact us.

Cancelling your policy 

Will I get a refund if I cancel my landlord's insurance policy?

Your insurer will provide a refund of the unexpired portion of your premium provided no claims have been made on your policy. Letsure may also charge a cancellation fee of up to £40 depending on when your policy is cancelled, please see the Initial Disclosure Document for full details. If you are paying for your premium through Close Premium Finance, they may also charge you a fee which would have been provided to you with your original documents from Close.

Can I cancel if I have made a claim?

Yes, you can cancel if you have made a claim but you should be aware that generally there will be no premium refund due to you.

Making a claim on your landlord's buildings and contents insurance

How do I make a claim?

Details on how to make a claim for Landlord's Buildings & Contents Insurance, Legal Protection can be found here.

Do I have to pay an excess if I claim?

Excesses apply on some policies and also vary depending on the type of claim. For full details on whether an excess will apply, please either refer to your documents or you can view the policy wordings. If you are still unsure please contact us.

How long will my claim take?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide timescales as each claim varies depending upon a number of factors. For example, how quickly you provide us or the insurer with full information relating to the claim and any supporting evidence requested. Legal claims tend to take longer as these tend to be more complex and as they may involve court action, the length of time before a case can be heard is sometimes considerable. You can be sure that we will do our utmost to deal with your claim as quickly and efficiently as possible and you will be kept up to date with the progress of your claim.

Price and payment

Does my price include insurance premium tax?

Yes, all of our insurance premiums include IPT at the current rate. All insurance premium tax is paid to the insurer who in turn will pay this to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

Can I pay by instalments?

Most of our products are able to be paid by monthly instalments. The finance is offered through Close Premium Finance who are a reputable finance company. Availability of monthly instalments will be made aware to you when purchasing a policy.


How long does it take to receive my policy documents?

Your policy documents should arrive within 5 working days of the policy being bought, as we use the postal system, sometimes events such as industrial disputes, transportation issues or loss of mail can occur which may affect the delivery timescales. If you have not received any documents after 10 days, you should contact us as there is likely to have been an issue.

Do I have to return anything to you?

Generally, we do not require you to return anything to us. If we require anything, you will have been made aware of this and it will also be shown on your covering letter. If you have taken out an instalment plan through Close Premium Finance, you will need to return a signed Consumer Credit Agreement to them.