Choosing the right letting agent matters
Finding a reputable and reliable letting agent
With so much choice, it can be hard to decide which letting agent is right for you. The best place to start is probably by way of a personal recommendation from any friends or acquaintances that you know who use a letting agent. Find out about their experiences and whether they would recommend that you use them.
There are many ways to find out who your local agents are: a walk down the high street, Yellow Pages, local newspapers, online search engines and specialist property sites – you will more than likely be spoiled for choice once you start looking.
It is probably best to choose a letting agent who is a member of a professional organisation, such as the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA), the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA), the National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) or the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). All such agents are bound by a code of practice and you should expect certain standards from them. Most letting agents who are members of these professional organisations tend to advertise this fact, so it should not be too hard to find this out.
Things to consider
After you have created a shortlist of letting agents perhaps two or three, you should find out more about what they offer. Things you should consider asking are:
- How long have they been letting properties?
- Do they belong to a professional association?
- How often do they let properties in your area?
- Do they have a list of tenants waiting for properties?
- What type of tenants do they usually let to?
- How do they vet tenants? Which referencing provider do they use?
- How quickly can they let your property?
- How will they advertise your property?
- What are their fees? What is included and what isn't?
- Do they offer any additional services?
You now have the difficult choice of choosing a letting agent, it is important that you are comfortable with the agent and that you trust them to deliver what they say they will. So it is probably best to use a mixture of your ‘head and heart' when making the final decision.
Letsure work with many letting agents across the UK and we would be happy to suggest letting agents who are based near you. We cannot provide a recommendation but we know that they take tenant vetting seriously as they use our tenant referencing service.